Museum of the Treasure of San Gennaro
Near our hotel, there is the famous and legendary Treasure of San Gennaro, which you can admire inside the homonymous museum.
The Treasury was born because the Neapolitans asked San Gennaro for a favor by going to the notary; in fact, in 1526 Naples wanted to free itself from the scourge of the war of the Angevins, who had also caused the plague in the city by poisoning the Bolla river, and from the scourge of Vesuvius, which every day caused earthquakes, so they decided to devote themselves to their Saint. The Neapolitans promised San Gennaro that, in exchange for the grace, they would build him a new and larger chapel. To emphasize that the chapel would have been neither of the Church nor of the State but of all the citizens of Naples, they made an official notarial pact on January 13, 1527 and also created a department for the chapel. The Neapolitans obtained grace. The new chapel dedicated to San Gennaro, over the years, has come to collect a collection of 21,610 masterpieces thanks to donations from popes, emperors, kings, illustrious men and ordinary people.